The Planning Department is involved in many different planning initiatives throughout the City, including area master plans, redevelopment plans, corridor plans, and the City-wide comprehensive plan. An important part of the planning process is public participation; click on the links below to get more information and to find out how you can get involved in the planning and implementation for the plans below. Please note that some of the plans below represent joint planning efforts with Richland County, such as the Walkable 29203 Pedestrian Master Plan and the Capital City Mill District Area and Corridor Plan.
Plans In Process
There are no area plans in process at this time, but that doesn't mean you can't be involved in planning for your community. Check out our existing area plans below, and sign up for our newsletter to stay engaged with Columbia Compass, our comprehensive plan.
Adopted City-wide Plans
- The Columbia Plan 2018 and updates (Comprehensive Plan)
- City-wide Architectural Survey & Historic Preservation Plan (1993 Bryan Survey)
- Public Space Public Life Action Plan (2016)
- Walk Bike Columbia Pedestrian & Bicycle Master Plan and Bike Share Plan (2015) (additional information available at www.walkbikecolumbia.org)
Neighborhood, Area, and Corridor Plans & Historic Surveys
The City has a rich history of planning for neighborhoods, areas, and corridors. Plans developed in recent years are linked below; historic plans for the City and its neighborhoods are available for viewing in the Planning Division's offices, through the Central Midlands Council of Governments, and Richland Library.
- A Plan For the Redevelopment of East Central City (2004)
- Capital City Mill District Area and Corridor Plan (2017)
- City Center Master Plan (1999)
- Columbia Owens Master Plan (Click here for Executive Summary Only) (2002)
- Devine Street - Fort Jackson Boulevard Commercial Node Plan (2014)
- Downtown Historic Resource Survey (2020)
- Eau Claire Historic Resources Survey (2018)
- Future Five: Five Points Master Plan (2006)
- Innovista Master Plan (2007)
- Lower Waverly Catalyst Redevelopment Plan (2006)
- Master Plan for the Villages of North Columbia (2005)
- Rosewood Corridor & Neighborhood Plan (2012)
- South Main Capital District Area Plan (2017)
- Walkable 29203 Pedestrian Master Plan (2017)
- West Gervais District Plan (2017)
The Plan Columbia: Land Use Plan identified areas for future neighborhood, area, and corridor planning efforts. A number of the areas identified represent joint planning areas, where multiple jurisdictions work together to best plan for a community.